Abiraterone (brand names – Zytiga, Yonsa) is an FDA-approved treatment for prostate cancer that has spread to other body parts. Abiraterone is in a class of medications called androgen biosynthesis inhibitors. It works by decreasing the number of certain hormones in the body.
Let us walk you through the key things you need to know about abiraterone.
How should I take abiraterone (Zytiga)?
Take Abiraterone tablet by mouth on an empty stomach and with water. Swallow the tablets whole with water; do not split, chew, or crush them. You should take it 1 hour before or 2 hours after eating any food. Take abiraterone at around the same time every day.
Don’t forget your steroid (prednisone)!
A small dose of steroid medication helps prevent abiraterone’s complications like high BP and abnormal potassium levels. Start taking it when you start abiraterone, and do not stop or hold the dose without taking to your Doctor.
Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully, and ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain any part you do not understand. Do not take more or less of it or more often than your doctor prescribes.
Do not stop taking abiraterone or prednisone without talking to your doctor. You can help them by tracking your side effects in Ankr.
What are the side effects of abiraterone (Zytiga)?
Common side effects
- joint swelling or joint pain
- groin pain where the inside of the upper thigh and abdomen come together
- hot flashes (a sudden wave of mild or intense body heat)
- difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep
- flu-like symptoms such as fever
- appetite loss
- leg pain
- swelling of the hands, feet, ankles, or lower legs
- lack of energy
Serious side effects
- fast or irregular heartbeat
- unusual bruising or bleeding
- extreme tiredness
- pain in the upper right part of the stomach
- yellowing of the skin or eyes
- blood in urine
- difficult, painful, or frequent urination
- bone fracture
Abiraterone may cause other side effects. Call your doctor if you have any unusual problems while taking this medication. If you experience a serious side effect, you or your doctor may send a report to the Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) MedWatch Adverse Event Reporting program online or by phone (1-800-332-1088).
Use the free Ankr platform or Ankr app to track your symptoms.
What special precautions should I follow?
Before taking abiraterone or Zytiga
- tell your doctor about your allergies
- tell your doctor about other intakes
- tell your doctor about any other disease or symptom in the past or now
While you are on Abiraterone or Zytiga
- you should know that abiraterone is only for use in men. Women should not take this medication, especially if they are or may become pregnant or are breastfeeding. If taken by pregnant women, abiraterone may harm the fetus.
- you should know that women who are, could become, or may be pregnant should not touch abiraterone tablets without protective gloves. A pregnant woman should call her doctor immediately if she takes or touches abiraterone tablets.
- you should know that men with female partners taking abiraterone must use effective contraception during treatment and for three weeks after the final dose. Talk to your doctor about the types of birth control that are right for you.
- men may experience decreased fertility.
I forgot a dose. What should I do?
Skip the missed dose and continue your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one.
In case of an emergency/overdose
In case of overdose, call the poison control helpline at 1-800-222-1222. Information is also available online at https://www.poisonhelp.org/help. If the victim has collapsed, had a seizure, has trouble breathing, or can’t be awakened, immediately call emergency services at 911.
What special dietary instructions should I follow?
Take the medication on empty stomach because food can increase the absorption of abiraterone. This can cause you to make more side effects. Unless your doctor tells you otherwise, continue your normal diet.
Last Revised – 02/17/2023, FDA update- 01/05/2023, SG
Get 24×7 support for abiraterone (Zytiga)
Don’t go through your cancer journey alone. Use Ankr to:
(1) find the best treatment for your cancer, and
(2) get advanced warning to cut side effects by upto 52%
Tell us how we can improve this post?