Ramucirumab (brand name-cyramza) is an FDA-approved treatment for stomach cancer or cancer located in the area where the stomach meets the esophagus (the tube between the throat and stomach), cancer of the colon (large intestine) rectum, or hepatocellular carcinoma when these conditions do not improve after treatment with other medications.
Ramucirumab (cyramza) is beneficial in combination with docetaxel to treat a certain type of non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC). It is also used in combination with erlotinib (Tarceva) to a certain type of NSCLC that has spread to other parts of the body.
Ramucirumab (cyramza) falls in the monoclonal antibodies class of medications. It works by stopping the growth of cancer cells.
Let us walk you through the key things you need to know about ramucircumab
How should I take ramucirumab (Cyramza)?
Ramucirumab (cyramza) is injected into a vein over 30 or 60 minutes by a doctor or nurse in a hospital or medical facility. The length of your treatment depends on how well your body responds to the medication and the side effects that you experience.
Tell your doctor or nurse if you experience any of the following side effects while you receive ramucirumab.
Do not stop taking treatment without talking to your doctor. You can help them by tracking your side effects in Ankr.
What are the side effects of ramucirumab (Cyramza)?
Common side effects
- Diarrhea (Dysentery)
- Throat sores
- Mucositis (Mouth sore)
- Sudden weakness of an arm or leg
- Swelling of the face, eyes, stomach, hands, feet, ankles, or lower legs
- Unexplained Weight gain
- Sore throat, Fever, chills, ongoing cough, congestion, or other signs of Infection
- Vomiting (Emesis)
- back pain or spasms
Serious side effects
- Drooping one side of the face
- Difficulty speaking or understanding
- Crushing chest or shoulder pain
- Slow or difficult speech
- Chest Pain
- Shortness of breath (Dyspnea)
- Dizziness or faintness
- Change in vision or loss of vision
- Extreme tiredness
- Foamy urine
- Coughing up or vomiting blood or material that looks like coffee grounds, unusual bleeding or bruising, pink, red, or dark brown urine, red or tarry black bowel movements, or lightheadedness
- uncontrollable shaking of a part of the body; chest pain and tightness; chills; flushing; shortness of breath; wheezing
- pain, burning, numbness, prickling, or tingling in the hands or feet or on the skin
- breathing difficulties
- fast heartbeat
Ramucirumab injection may cause other side effects. Call your doctor if you have any unusual problems while using this medication.
If you experience a serious side effect, you or your doctor may send a report to the Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) MedWatch Adverse Event Reporting program online or by phone (1-800-332-1088).
What special precautions should I follow?
Before receiving ramucirumab (Cyramza)
- tell your doctor about your allergies
- tell your doctor about other intakes
- tell your doctor if you have or have ever had any disease, symptom, or treatment
- tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. Talk to your doctor about birth control methods that will work for you.
While you are on ramucircumab (Cyramza)
- If you become pregnant during your treatment with ramucirumab injection, call your doctor immediately. Ramucirumab may harm the fetus.
- tell your doctor if you are breastfeeding. You should not breastfeed during your treatment with ramucirumab and for 2 months after your final dose.
- if you are having surgery, including dental surgery, tell the doctor or dentist that you are receiving ramucirumab injection.
I forgot a dose. What should I do?
Call your doctor right away if you are unable to keep an appointment to receive a dose of ramucirumab injection.
What special dietary instructions should I follow?
Unless your doctor tells you otherwise, continue your normal diet.
Last Revised – 06/22/2023, FDA updated-07/15/2020, SG
Get 24×7 support for ramucirumab (Cyramza)
Don’t go through your cancer journey alone. Use Ankr to:
(1) find the best treatment for your cancer, and
(2) get advanced warning to cut side effects by upto 52%
Tell us how we can improve this post?