Panitumumab may cause skin reactions, including some that may be severe. Severe skin problems may develop serious infections, which may cause death. If you experience any of the following symptoms, call your doctor immediately: pimples; itching or redness of the skin, peeling, dry, or cracked skin; or redness or swelling around the fingernails or toenails.
Panitumumab may cause a severe or life-threatening reactions while you receive the medication. Your doctor will watch you carefully when you begin your treatment of panitumumab. Tell your doctor if you experience any of these symptoms during your treatment: difficulty breathing or swallowing, shortness of breath, hoarseness, chest tightness, itching. rash, hives, fever, chills, dizziness, fainting, blurred vision, or nausea. If you experience a severe reaction, your doctor will stop the medication and treat the symptoms of the reaction.
If you have a reaction while receiving panitumumab, in the future you may receive a lower dose or you may not be able to receive treatment with panitumumab. Your doctor will make this decision based on the severity of your reaction.
Keep all appointments with your doctor and the laboratory. Your doctor will order certain tests to check your body’s response to panitumumab.
Talk to your doctor about the risks of taking panitumumab.
Panitumumab is used to treat a type of cancer of the colon or rectum that has spread to other areas of the body either during or after treatment with other chemotherapy drugs.
Panitumumab is in a class of medications called monoclonal antibodies. It works by slowing or stopping the growth of cancer cells.
let us walk you through the key things you need to know about panitumumab.
How should I take panitumumab (Vectibix)?
Panitumumab is injected into a vein by a doctor or nurse in medical facility. Panitumumab is usually given once every 2 weeks.
Be sure to talk to your Doctor about how you feel during your treatment. Do not stop taking treatment without talking to your doctor. You can help them by tracking your side effects in Ankr.
What are the side effects of panitumumab (Vectibix)?
Commom side effects
Serious side effects
Panitumumab may cause other side effects. Call your doctor if you have any unusual problems while using this medication. If you experience a serious side effect, you or your doctor may send a report to the Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) MedWatch Adverse Event Reporting program online or by phone (1-800-332-1088).
What special precautions should I follow?
Before taking panitumumab (Vectibix)
- tell your doctor about your allergies
- tell your doctor about other intakes
- tell your doctor if you have or have ever had any other disease, symptom, or treatment.
- tell your doctor if you are pregnant, or plan to become pregnant. Use effective birth control during your treatment with panitumumab and for 6 months after you stop receiving this medication.
While you are on panitumumab (Vectibix)
- If you become pregnant while taking panitumumab, call your doctor.
- tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You should not breastfeed during your treatment with panitumumab or for 2 months after you stop receiving the medication.
- plan to avoid unnecessary or prolonged exposure to sunlight and to wear protective clothing, a hat, sunglasses, and sunscreen. Panitumumab may make your skin sensitive to sunlight.
I forgot a dose. What should I do?
If you miss an appointment to receive a dose of panitumumab, call your doctor right away.
In case of an emergency/overdose
In case of overdose, call the poison control helpline at 1-800-222-1222. Information is also available online at https://www.poisonhelp.org/help. If the victim has collapsed, had a seizure, has trouble breathing, or can’t be awakened, immediately call emergency services at 911.
What special dietary instructions should I follow?
Unless your doctor tells you otherwise, continue your normal diet.
Last Reviewed – 06/20/2023, FDA updated-09/01/2010, SG
Get 24×7 support for panitumumab (Vectibix)
Don’t go through your cancer journey alone. Use Ankr to:
(1) find the best treatment for your cancer, and
(2) get advanced warning to cut side effects by upto 52%
Tell us how we can improve this post?