Bowel (intestinal) obstruction occurs when food and liquid stop moving through the digestive tract.
The small intestine digests nutrients from food and liquid. Remaining undigested food moves from the small intestine to the large intestine. It absorbs water from the waste and stores waste until the next bowel movement. It removes the waste as stool (faeces) from the body.
You need to learn how bad (severe) your symptoms are.
How bad is my bowel (intestinal) obstruction?
Moderate: You may have bloating, indigestion, and appetite loss. It may limit your instrumental activities of daily life (medication management, housekeeping activities, and ability to manage finances).
Severe: You may experience severe constipation, inability to pass stool or gas, and abdominal swelling. It may limit self-care activities of daily life (eating, dressing, getting into or out of a bed or chair, taking a bath or shower, and using the toilet). It may require immediate treatment under your doctor’s supervision.
What is the treatment for bowel (intestinal) obstruction?
- IV fluid replacement: IV fluids and electrolytes (sodium, chloride and potassium) treat dehydration.
- Medications: Anti-nausea medicine and pain relievers can keep you more comfortable.
- Nasogastric tube: Your healthcare provider inserts a long, thin tube through your nose. The tube reaches into the stomach or intestine. It suctions out fluids backed up from the blockage.
- Barium enema: It detects a blockage and treats some problems (twisted intestine).
Warning signs/severe symptoms of bowel obstruction that need immediate medical attention
What caused my bowel (intestinal) obstruction?
- The hard stool, which is difficult to pass
- Twisting of the intestines
- Scar tissue in the intestines
- Inflammation of the intestines after radiation therapy
- A tumor or tumors inside the GI tract or pressing on the outside of the GI tract
How can Ankr help with your bowel (intestinal) construction?
Don’t try to treat a bowel obstruction by yourself. Use Ankr to:
(1) learn about the common symptoms of bowel obstruction
(2) send message to your Doctor if they use Ankr platform*
(3) be better informed about how to prevent another bowel obstruction
Tell us how we can improve this post?