What is hyperthyroidism?
Hyperthyroidism is characterized by excessive levels of thyroid hormone in the body. An overactive thyroid gland makes and releases excessive thyroid hormone.
The thyroid gland is located in the front of the neck, below Adam’s apple. The thyroid makes hormones that control the body’s metabolism. It affects heart rate and the function of other organs. It affects muscles, bones, and menstrual cycles.
How bad is my hyperthyroidism?
Mild: You may feel anxious, irritable and nervous. Other symptoms are mood swing, sensitivity to heat and trembling. Most of the time, mild symptoms can be safely managed at home by following the tips given in the section below.
Moderate: The symptoms are abnormal weight loss, changes in bowel habits, brittle hair, persistent tiredness or weakness. It may limit instrumental activities of daily life (preparing meals, managing money, shopping, doing housework, and using a telephone).
Severe: Insomnia, enlarged thyroid gland (goitre), eye problems, breathlessness and palpitation. It may limit self-care activities of your daily life (eating, dressing, getting into or out of a bed or chair, taking a bath or shower, and using the toilet). It requires immediate treatment under your doctor’s supervision.
How to manage mild hyperthyroidism?
- Eat low-iodine diet.
- Include calcium rich food in your diet.
- Get the Right Amount of Exercise
- Manage stress level
- Try nutritional supplements (vitamin C and D) under the guidance of the physician.
How to manage severe hyperthyroidism?
Call your doctor if you experience:
- Change in consciousness
- Rapid, irregular heartbeat
What causes hyperthyroidism?
- Hyperfunctioning (overactive) thyroid nodules.
- Weak immune system
- Viral infection
- High intake of iodine.
- Noncancerous growths of the thyroid gland or pituitary gland
- Thyroid cancer
- Radiation therapy to the head, neck, or upper spine.
- A high dose chemotherapy.
- Targeted therapy and Immunotherapy.
- Radiation therapy with radioactive iodine (RAI or I-131).
Tell us how we can improve this post?