Vinblastine (brand name-Velban) is an FDA-approved treatment useful in combination with other chemotherapy drugs for Hodgkin’s lymphoma (Hodgkin’s disease) and non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma (types of cancer that begin in a type of white blood cell that normally fights infection), and cancer of the testicles.
It is also beneficial to treat Langerhans cell histiocytosis (histiocytosis X; Letterer-Siwe disease; a condition in which too many of a certain type of white blood cell grows in parts of the body), breast cancer and gestational trophoblastic tumors (a type of tumor that forms inside a woman’s uterus while she is pregnant)
Vinblastine is in vinca alkaloids class of medications. It works by slowing or stopping the growth of cancer cells in your body.
let us walk you through the key things you need to know about vinblastine
Make sure you read the IMPORTANT WARNING section at the end of this article.
How should I take Vinblastine (Velban)?
Vinblastine is to be injected into a vein by a doctor or nurse in a medical facility. It is usually given once a week. The length of treatment depends on the types of drugs you are taking, how well your body responds to them, and the type of cancer you have.
Your doctor may need to delay your treatment or change your dose if you experience certain side effects. Talk to your doctor about how you are feeling during your treatment. You can help them by tracking your side effects in Ankr.
What are the side effects of vinblastine (Velban)?
Common side effects
Vinblastine may cause other side effects. Call your doctor if you have any unusual problems while taking this medication.
If you experience a serious side effect, you or your doctor may send a report to the Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) MedWatch Adverse Event Reporting program online or by phone (1-800-332-1088).
What special precautions should I follow?
Before receiving vinblastine (Velban)
- tell your doctor about your allergies
- tell your doctor about other intakes
- tell your doctor if you have an infection. Your doctor will want to treat your infection before you receive vinblastine injection.
- tell your doctor if you have or have ever had any disease, symptom, or treatment
- tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding. You should not become pregnant or breast-feed while you are receiving vinblastine injections.
While you are on vinblastine (Velban)
- if you become pregnant while receiving vinblastine injection, call your doctor. Vinblastine may harm the fetus.
- tell your doctor if you are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed. You should not breastfeed while taking abemaciclib and for at least 3 weeks after your final dose
In case of an emergency/overdose
In case of overdose, call the poison control helpline at 1-800-222-1222. Information is also available online at https://www.poisonhelp.org/help. If the victim has collapsed, had a seizure, has trouble breathing, or can’t be awakened, immediately call emergency services at 911.
Symptoms of overdose may include:
- stomach pain
- unusual bleeding or bruising
- fever, sore throat, chills, or other signs of infection
What special dietary instructions should I follow?
Unless your doctor tells you otherwise, continue your normal diet.
- Vincaleukoblastine Sulfate
¶This branded product is no longer on the market. Generic alternatives are available.
Last Revised – 06/27/2023, FDA updated-06/15/2013, SG
Vinblastine should be administered only into a vein. However, it may leak into surrounding tissue causing severe irritation or damage. Your doctor or nurse will monitor your administration site for this reaction. If you experience any of the following symptoms, call your doctor immediately: pain, itching, redness, swelling, blisters, or sores in the place where the medication was injected.
Vinblastine should be given only under the supervision of a doctor with experience in the use of chemotherapy medications.
Get 24×7 support for vinblastine (Velban)
Don’t go through your cancer journey alone. Use Ankr to:
(1) find the best treatment for your cancer, and
(2) get advanced warning to cut side effects by upto 52%
Tell us how we can improve this post?